http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4395/2635/320/solo1-remembe5r.jpg notes of yours truly: Afterlife

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Afterlife

off in the distance
yeah, up ahead
this car brakes and swerves
rolls into a ditch
slides down an enbankment
end over end
tires come undone
and go bounding off in unknown tangents
(they're still rollong down a lone airstrip somewhere)
lies smoking on its hood

crawl from the wreckage
emerge like a deformed newborn
from your crippled womb

you spit blood and grass
and broken teeth
why, is that an angel I see
wait there's something grey in the corner of my eye
lifes lost all meaning now
the corporeal sense remains no longer
all I feel is air now
a gentle lifting under the arms
there you stand next to me
I am intact and unharmed
we stride up the path to our front door
you reach for the key
insert it into the lock
and it unlatches
grants us entrance
the stairs are where they have always been
my favorite painting of
Steve Kilbey's "The Beginning Of Everything" hangs
in the library staring at the reader
The sunlight peeks in through the soft lit lamps
incandescant
magnificent just like I left it there before
clip clop clip
walk down the hall
the wooden slats creak and whisper
talk about centuries past
how they were sacrificed
for the good of man
(I was a Jain, you know)
reveal myself to the garden out back
stone path which teaches me to stray
investigate the bloom which catches my eyes
it wasn't there yesterday.
there's a whole field of wild california rose before me
I dare not stray amongst its branches but
admire it from its edge
Achillea spots the landscape
its coryomb flat it's penduncle reaching
up to the sun
the one
the glint of a soft field
orange sunlight glow
cast over everything
walking along this garden of my choosing
I stumble upon the remains
of a fox
which by now its bleached bones
are starched and dried
pitted from the decalcification
the return to the earth
the cycle of life
my body will someday lie
not in a wooden box
but in the earth
for all the digesters there
to take me back
to my elemental form
to the essence of what our shells are
This fox must have struggled
it must have darted and dodged
while a horror of claw and teeth
breathed down its neck
I feel alright still
The only thing my bones hurt like the ages
I must go lie down
rest this weary capsule
let my my spirit travel
set it free for an hour or so
Back through the screen door
its creaks and slaps shut behind me
my shoes are muddy
and it seems i got a cut somewhere
maybe it was the thorns?
I must have got a little too close
I unlace my boots and slip them off
and raise up to meet my countenance
in the mirror
a little dishevled
some lines on the face
and that sneaking gray hair
(that's my sage mark)
off to bed I go
across the talking floor boards
up the old wood stair
my hand gently lifting me
up each riser
the smell of a light musty wood smell
wafts by
(a ghost maybe?)
at the top of the stairs
the picture of my mother's grandparents
stares at me
they follow me into the bedroom
I grasp the glass crystal door knob
which leads to my bedroom
and slowly turn the latch
it unhinges with a pop
and the door springs free open
I push on in and begin to undress
(my body aches)
I pull back the crisp white sheets
(where have I seen this before?)
the bed absorbs every inch of me
it is bliss
I lie there looking at the hand etched copper ceiling
I get lost in it's niches
the veil of sleep begins to wash over me
I see you lying there in your net
looking up at the stars
I see my hand carressing your side
and looking at you
love in my heart
and awestruck with your beauty
you on the inside
your love just shines through
shimmers with unchecked radiance
they we were all running
like the apocolypse was at hand
we ran until the land ran out from under us
and we flew
without wings
without effort
without question
of what abilities
we covered up with our
daylight minds
drifting over land
barely scraping the surface
almost clipping the trees
it was when you realized
the improbability
the concious mind
the critic
the doubter
That you would plummet to earth
like a space born
astral shooter
rocketing towards
the soft brown earth
I can't seem to recover
I can't let go of the corporeal logic
the earth spins closer
sickening feeling closing in
the trees are a blur and I feel the
limbs give me a lash as I penetrate their canopy
bones splinter
this can't be happening
the pain it's back with all the revenge
of a jealous lover
to claim me for its own
the pain has taken owness
I lie there coughing pine needles
and dirt blood and broken teeth
the trees are smoking from where I
pentrated the canopy
a bird calls in the tops
siings me a song
maybe a lullaby
and then there is sleep.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home